Environmental Educator Certification Program
About the Program
The Pennsylvania Association of Environmental Educators administers a professional certification program to recognize the qualifications that are essential for success in the field of environmental education.
As a ‘PA Certified Environmental Educator‘, you hold a credential that demonstrates a deep understanding of the knowledge, skills, and qualities needed to deliver exceptional environmental education programs.
The EE Certification program is largely self-guided (with oversight from our committee) and takes approximately 3 years to complete. Our goal is that the certification will be respected and recognized by employers, audiences, and funders throughout the region.
* All requirements for our EE Certification Program need to be completed AFTER your application has been approved. You have 3 years to complete the process. *
- Be a PAEE Member
- Complete a work sample portfolio including evidence of program development, delivery and evaluation
- Submit written reflections on books and other resources included in the EE Certification reading list
- Attend EE Certification workshops at the annual PAEE conference. (There may be other opportunities to complete this task with PAEE’s monthly Professional Development Series. You can find that information HERE. )
- Pass the Environmental Literacy Test (we recommend doing this towards the end of the process). You will email us to schedule the test.
- Recertify every 5 years (after 3 recertifications you are certified for life).
- Email email@example.com to get a copy of the manual for your review.
- Complete the application and send that with your letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The EE Certification committee will review your information and a decision of acceptance will be made within 2 weeks of your submission.
- After notification of acceptance pay the $100 application fee.
Interested in Being a Mentor or on the Committee for the PAEE EE Certification Program?
- Mentors are seasoned educators who want to share their knowledge and expertise in assisting and advising a candidate who has enrolled in PAEE’s EE Certification program.
- We are always looking for individuals to serve on the EE Certification Committee. We welcome professionals with all backgrounds and employment histories.
- If you are interested in being on the committee or a mentor for candidates in our program, please complete this form. If you choose to be on the committee, we will be in touch. If you sign up to be a mentor you will be added to our list and we will not give out your name or contact information prior to your consent.